Admission to bachelor/diploma degree programmes without sufficient proficiency in German

Your secondary school leaving certificate and your citizenship are from EU/EEA countries? You want to study a bachelor or diploma programme without an entrance examination but your knowledge of German is lower than level B2?

You apply for admission online via u:space during the general admission period and complete your admission personally in the Admission Office.

 Required Documents

You need the following documents as seperate JPEG or PNG files:

  • Your passport or personal ID card (if applicable: documents about a change of name)
  • Passport photograph for the student ID card (has to comply with EU standards)

You need the following documents as seperate PDF files:

  • Your original secondary school leaving certificate (all pages!) and a translation (by a court sworn translator), if it was not issued in German or English (diploma and translation in one PDF)
  • Proof of supplementary exams if necessary (like Latin or Greek)

 General Admission Period

  • winter semester 2017: 3 July until 5 September 2017
  • summer semester 2018: 8 January until 5 February 2018

Note the Admission Deadlines for the preparation programm (VWU)!

 Semester start

  • winter semester: 1 October
  • summer semester: 1 March

Schedule of the academic year

Steps of the Admission Process


Step 1: Preparation of Required Documents

Scan all required documents (in high resolution) and create separate PDF files. Your secondary school leaving certificate and its translation have to be merged into one single PDF file by means of an online tool of your choice. All your files have to be easily readable. Please check the quality of your files before uploading them!


Step 2: Application for Admission via u:space

Register in u:space during the general admission period and activate your u:account. This account is required during your further studies at the University of Vienna.

Log in to u:space, choose the degree programme of your choice and upload the required documents as individual pdf-files. As you do not have  proof of proficiency in German yet, you can leave this field blank. Then click on "submit application."

As soon as the status of your application in u:space is "submitted" you can continue to step 3. The status of your application can be found in u:space below "My applications."


Step 3: Registration for the German Preparation Course

During the general admission period you have to present the required documents, your passport and your passport photograph at the Admission Office (opening hours). The documents can be presentend either in their original version or as notarized copies.

In the Admission Office you will receive a written confirmation that you may participate in the preparation programme of the Viennesse Universities. Choose a partner of the Vienna University Preparation Programme and register for your German course before the deadlines end (Partners, costs, deadlines).


Step 4: Personal Admission

Now you have to go to the Admission Office again and present the required documents (either orignals or a notarized copies) and the confirmation that you have registered for the German language course at VWU.

You have to be here in person, as your identity has to be verified. Representation by a third party is not possible!

As soon as your Students' Union Fee is registered as paid, you are enrolled at the University of Vienna as a non-degree student for the attendance of the preparation programme. This means that you cannot start with your degree programme yet, you can only pass exams at the preparation programme.


What comes next?

As soon as your fee is registered as paid, you can print your student documents (i.e. student record sheet and confirmation of enrolment) in u:space > Personal Matters > My Documents.



I have lost one of my documents, is a copy sufficient?
What can I do, if I have lost the login details for my u:account?
Is there a numerus clausus/minimum of required grades?
I have an International Baccalaureate (IB). What do I have to do?
I have GCE AL ("British A-Laevels). What do I have to do?
I have switched from another university to the University of Vienna. How can I get the exams I already took at the other university recognized?
Are there any bachelor degree programmes taught in English?
I want to study an additional degree programme. What do I have to do?
I want to change my degree programme. What do I have to do?
Where can I get my confirmation of studies?