Admission to bachelor/diploma programmes with German knowledge

Your secondary school leaving certificate and your citizenship are from EU/EEA countries? You have at least B2 level in German and want to study a bachelor or diploma programme without entrance examination?

You apply for admission online via u:space during the general admission period and finish the admission procedure personally in the Admission Office.

 Required documents

You need the following documents as separate JPEG or PNG files:

  • Your passport or personal ID card (and if applicable: documents about a change of name)
  • A passport photograph for the student ID card (has to comply with EU standards)

You need the following documents as seperate PDF files:

  • Your original secondary school leaving certificate (all pages!)
    • and a translation (by a court sworn translator), if it was not issued in German or English (diploma and translation in one PDF)
  • Your proof of knowledge in German of at least level B2 (not required if you have a secondary school leaving certificate of a German speaking country)
  • Proof of supplementary exams if necessary (like Latin or Greek etc.)

 General admission period

  • winter semester 2017: 3 July until 5 September 2017
  • summer semester 2018: 8 January until 5 February 2018

 Semester start

  • winter semester: 1 October
  • summer semester: 1 March

Schedule of the academic year

Steps of the Admission Process

Step 1: Preparation of Required Documents

Scan all required documents (in high resolution) and create separate PDF files. Your secondary school leaving certificate and its translation have to be merged into one single PDF file by means of an online tool of your choice. All your files have to be easily readable. Please check the quality of your files before uploading them!


Step 2: Application for Admission via u:space

Register in u:space during the general admission period and activate your u:account. This account is required during your further studies at the University of Vienna.

Log in to u:space, choose the degree programme of your choice and upload the required documents as separate PDF files. Then click on "submit application". If you want to apply for more than one degree programme, repeat this step for each degree programme you want to study.

As soon as the status of your application in u:space is "submitted" you can continue to step 3.


Step 3: Personal Admission to a Degree Programme

During the general admission period you have to present the required documents, your passport and your passport photograph at the Admission Office (opening hours). These documents can either be presented in their original version or as notarized copies.

You have to be here in person, as your identity has to be verified. Representation by a third person is not possible!


Step 4: Payment of the Tuition Fee/Students' Union Fee

You are admitted to a degree programme as soon as your compulsory fee is registered as paid.

Information regarding the Tuition Fee/Students' Union Fee


What comes next?

As soon as your fee is registered as paid, you can print your student documents (i.e. student record sheet and confirmation of enrolment) in u:space > Personal Matters > My Documents.

After the admission you can plan your semester and register for courses. The respective course registration periods can be found in u:space and u:find.

 Further Information

  • Tips for semester planning
  • Who provides information on...?



I have lost one of my documents, is a copy sufficient?
Is there a numerus clausus/minimum of required grades?
What can I do, if I have lost the login details to my u:account?
I have switched from another university to the University of Vienna. How can I get the exams I already took at the other university recognized?
Are there any bachelor degree programmes taught in English?
I have an International Baccalaureate (IB). What do I have to do?
I have GCE AL ("British A-Levels). What do I have to do?
How can I drop out of my degree programme?
I want to study an additional degree programme. What do I have to do?
I want to change my degree programme. What do I have to do?
How much time do I have for the admission?
Do I need a proof of German proficiency for English and American Studies?