Admission to a bachelor/diploma programme with little proficiency in German


Your secondary school leaving certificate and your citizenship are from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland? You want to study a bachelor or diploma programme without an entrance exam procedure but you don't have German proficiency on C1 level yet?

Apply for admission online via u:space and complete the admission procedure personally in the Admission Office within the deadlines.


Due to amendments to the Universities Act, applicants have to include a proof of German knowledge at level A2 in their applications for degree programmes held in German from summer semester 2019 onwards, even if they would like to participate in the University Preparation Programme afterwards. For the admission to degree programmes a proof of German knowledge at level C1 is required. 

Accepted proofs of German knowledge A2

Accepted proofs of German knowledge C1

Application and admission periods

 Required documents

You need the following documents

as a JPEG or PNG file:

  • Your passport or personal ID card

as separate PDF files:

  • Your original secondary school leaving certificate (all pages!) and a translation by a court sworn translator (if not issued in German or English)
  • your proof of German proficiency of at least A2 level or higher
  • Proof of supplementary exams if necessary (like Latin or Greek)


Summer semester 2019:

  • Application period: 1 December 2018 until 5 February 2019
  • Admission period: 7 January until 5 February 2019

Winter semester 2019/20:

  • Application and admission period:
    11 July until 5 September 2019



 Semester start

  • winter semester: 1 October
  • summer semester: 1 March

Schedule of the academic year

 University Preparation Programme of the Vienna Universities

Please note the early registration deadlines for the University Preparation Programme of the Vienna Universities (VWU).



Your steps in the admission procedure


Step 1: Preparation of required documents

Scan all required documents (in high resolution) and create PDF files. All pages of one document as well as its legalisation and/or translation have to be merged into one single PDF file by means of an online tool of your choice (i.e. school leaving certificate + legalisation + translation, special entrance qualification for university studies + translation, etc.). All your files have to be easily readable and in high quality.



Step 2: Application for admission via u:space

Activate your u:account in u:space during the application period. You will need this account during your studies at the University of Vienna. 

Log in to u:space, finish the registration, select the degree programme of your choice and upload the required documents as separate files. Do not upload a "Certificate of proficiency in German at level C1" under "Other documents and proofs". Then click on "submit application."

As soon as the status of your application in u:space is "submitted" you can continue with step 3. This status does not change anymore!



Step 3: Registration at the University Preparation Programme of the Vienna Universities (VWU)

During the admission period you have to present the required documents in original or notarised copy at the Admission Office (opening hours). 

In the Admission Office you will receive a written confirmation that you may participate in the German Preparation course of the VWU. Choose a cooperation partner and register for the course within the registration period (cooperation partners, costs, deadlines).



Step 4: Personal admission

Now you have to go to the Admission Office again and present the required documents in their orignal version or as notarised copies and the confirmation that you have registered for a German course at the VWU.

You have to do this personally, as your identity has to be verified. Representation by third parties is not possible!



Step 5: Payment of the students´ union fee

You may pay with your ATM or credit card (only Visa or Mastercard) when completing the admission procedure at the Admission Office.

You will be admitted as a non-degree student as soon as the prescribed fee is registered as "received on" in u:space. This means that you cannot start with your degree programme yet, you can only participate in courses and exams at the VWU.



What comes next?

As soon as the prescribed fee is registered as "registered on" in u:space > Financial Matters > Tuition fee/students' union fee you can order your student ID, the u:card.

Furthermore you can print your student documents (i.e. student record sheet and confirmation of enrolment) in u:space > Personal Matters > My Documents.



I have lost one of my documents, is a copy sufficient?
What can I do, if I have lost the login details for my u:account?
Is there a numerus clausus/minimum of required grades?
I have an International Baccalaureate (IB). What do I have to do?
I have GCE AL ("British A-Levels"). What do I have to do?
I have switched from another university to the University of Vienna. How can I get the exams I already took at the other university recognized?
I already got a university degree. Can I apply with this certificate instead of my school leaving certificate?
Are there any bachelor degree programmes taught in English?
How much time do I have for the admission?
Do I need a proof of German proficiency for English and American Studies?