Admission to a bachelor/diploma programme without sufficient proficiency in German


Your secondary school leaving certificate and your citizenship are from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland? You want to study a bachelor or diploma programme without an entrance examination but you don't have German proficiency on C1 level yet?

Apply for admission online via u:space and complete the admission procedure personally in the Admission Office within the deadlines.

 Required documents

You need the following documents as separate JPEG or PNG files:

  • Your passport or personal ID card
  • Passport photograph

You need the following documents as separate PDF files:

  • Your original secondary school leaving certificate (all pages!) and a translation by a court sworn translator (if not issued in German or English)
  • Proof of supplementary exams if necessary (like Latin or Greek)


Summer semester 2018:

  • application period: 2 January to 5 February 2018
  • admission period: 8 January to 5 February 2018

Winter semester 2018/19:

  • application and admission period: 2 July to 5 September 2018

Please note the course registration deadlines of the University Preparation Programme of the Vienna Universities (VWU)!

 Semester start

  • winter semester: 1 October
  • summer semester: 1 March

Schedule of the academic year

 University Preparation Programme of the Vienna Universities

Please note the early registration deadlines for the University Preparation Programme of the Vienna Universities (VWU). If you have to participate in the VWU, you first register there and then complete the admission procedure at the University of Vienna within the general admission period.

Your steps in the admission procedure

Step 1: Preparation of required documents

Scan all required documents (in high resolution) and create PDF files. All pages of one document as well as its legalisation and/or translation have to be merged into one single PDF file by means of an online tool of your choice (i.e. school leaving certificate + translation). All your files have to be easily readable and in high quality.

Step 2: Application for admission via u:space

Register in u:space during the application period and activate your u:account. You will need this account during your studies at the University of Vienna.

Log in to u:space, select the degree programme of your choice and upload the required documents. Do not upload a "Certificate of proficiency in German at level C1" under "Other documents and proofs". Then click on "submit application."

As soon as the status of your application in u:space is "submitted" you can continue with step 3. This status does not change anymore!

Step 3: Registration at the University Preparation Programme of the Vienna Universities (VWU)

During the admission period you have to present the required documents in original or notarised copy at the Admission Office (opening hours). 

In the Admission Office you will receive a written confirmation that you may participate in the German Preparation course of the VWU. Choose a cooperation partner and register for the course within the registration period (cooperation partners, costs, deadlines).


Step 4: Personal admission

Now you have to go to the Admission Office again and present the required documents in their orignal version or as notarised copies and the confirmation that you have registered for a German course at the VWU.

You have to do this personally, as your identity has to be verified. Representation by third parties is not possible!


Step 5: Payment of the students´ union fee

You may pay with your ATM card (Maestro card) when completing the admission procedure at the Admission Office.

You will be admitted as a non-degree student as soon as the prescribed fee is registered as paid in u:space. This means that you cannot start with your degree programme yet, you can only participate in courses and exams at the VWU.


What comes next?

As soon as the prescribed fee is registered as paid in u:space > Financial Matters > Tuition fee/students' union fee you can validate your student ID, the u:card.

Furthermore you can print your student documents (i.e. student record sheet and confirmation of enrolment) in u:space > Personal Matters > My Documents.



I have lost one of my documents, is a copy sufficient?
What can I do, if I have lost the login details for my u:account?
Is there a numerus clausus/minimum of required grades?
I have an International Baccalaureate (IB). What do I have to do?
I have GCE AL ("British A-Levels). What do I have to do?
I have switched from another university to the University of Vienna. How can I get the exams I already took at the other university recognized?
Are there any bachelor degree programmes taught in English?
I want to study an additional degree programme. What do I have to do?
I want to change my degree programme. What do I have to do?
Where can I get my student record sheet/confirmation of enrolment