Admission to a bachelor/diploma programme with proficiency in German


Your secondary school leaving certificate and your citizenship are from an EU/EEA country? You have at least C1 level in German and want to study a bachelor or diploma programme without an entrance exam procedure?

Apply online via u:space and finish the admission procedure personally in the Admission Office within the deadlines.

 Required documents

You need the following documents

as a JPEG or PNG file:

  • your passport or personal ID card

as seperate PDF files:

  • your original secondary school leaving certificate (all pages!)
    • and a translation by a court sworn translator, if it was not issued in German or English (diploma and translation in one PDF)
  • your proof of German proficiency of at least level C1 or higher (not required if you have a secondary school leaving certificate of a German speaking country)
  • proof of supplementary exams if necessary (like Latin or Greek etc.)


Summer semester 2019:

  • Application period: 1 December 2018 until 5 February 2019
  • Admission period: 7 January until 5 February 2019

Winter semester 2019/20

  • Application and admission period:
    11 July until 5 September 2019

 Semester start

  • winter semester: 1 October
  • summer semester: 1 March

Schedule of the academic year

Your steps in the admission procedure



Step 1: Preparation of required documents

Scan all required documents (in high resolution) and create PDF files. Your secondary school leaving certificate and its translation have to be merged into one single PDF file by means of an online tool of your choice. All your files have to be easily readable. Please check the quality of your files before uploading them!

Step 2: Application for admission via u:space

Activate your u:account in u:space during the application period. You will need this account during your studies at the University of Vienna.

Log in to u:space, finish the registration, choose the degree programme of your choice and upload the required documents as separate PDF files. Then click on "submit application".

As soon as the status of your application in u:space is "submitted" you can continue with step 3. This status does not change anymore!

Step 3: Personal admission to a degree programme

During the admission period you have to present the required documents in their original version or as notarised copies at the Admission Office (opening hours).

You have to do this personally, as your identity has to be verified. Representation by third parties is not possible!

Step 4: Payment of the tuition fee/students' union fee

You are admitted to a degree programme as soon as the prescribed fee is registered as "received on". You may pay with your ATM or credit card (only Visa or Mastercard)when completing the admission procedure at the Admission Office.

What comes next?

As soon as your fee is registered as "received on" in u:space (Financial Matters > Tuition fee/tudents' union fee), you can print your student documents (i.e. student record sheet and confirmation of enrolment) by clicking on Personal Matters > My Documents. Furthermore you can order your student ID, the u:card.

After the admission you can plan your semester and register for courses. The respective course registration periods can be found in u:find and u:space.



I have lost one of my documents, is a copy sufficient?
Is there a numerus clausus/minimum of required grades?
What can I do, if I have lost the login details to my u:account?
I have an International Baccalaureate (IB). What do I have to do?
I have GCE AL ("British A-Levels"). What do I have to do?
I already got a university degree. Can I apply with this certificate instead of my school leaving certificate?
I have switched from another university to the University of Vienna. How can I get the exams I already took at the other university recognized?
Are there any bachelor degree programmes taught in English?
How can I drop out of my degree programme?
How much time do I have for the admission?
I want to study an additional degree programme. What do I have to do?
I want to change my degree programme. What do I have to do?
Do I need a proof of German proficiency for English and American Studies?