Application with a school leaving certificate and citizenship from an EU/EEA country without proficiency in German


Your school leaving certificate and your citizenship are from an EU/EEA country, you want to study a bachelor programme with entrance examination but have no knowledge of German or proficiency lower than B2 level?

You cannot participate in the entrance examination yet, but you can apply for a degree programme and then attend a German course. Please read the information about German proficiency carefully!

 Required Documents

You need the following documents as separate JPEG or PNG files:

  • Your passport or personal ID card
  • Passport photograph

You need the following documents as separate PDF files:

  • Your original secondary school leaving certificate (all pages!) and a translation by a court sworn translator (if not issued in German or English)


Winter semester 2018/19:

  • application period: 3 April until 5 September 2018
  • admission period: 2 July until 5 September 2018

 Summer semester 2019:

  • application period: January 2019, to be announced
  • admission period: 7 January until 5 February 2019

 Semester start

  • winter semester: 1 October
  • summer semester: 1 March

Schedule of the academic year

 University Preparation Programme of the Vienna Universities

Please note the early registration deadlines for the University Preparation Programme of the Vienna Universities (VWU). If you have to participate in the VWU, you first register there and then complete the admission procedure at the University of Vienna within the general admission period.

Your steps in the admission procedure


Step 1: Preparation of required documents

Scan all required documents (in high resolution) and create PDF files. All pages of one document as well as its legalisation and/or translation have to be merged into one single PDF file by means of an online tool of your choice (i.e. school leaving certificate + translation). All your files have to be easily readable and in high quality.


Step 2: Application for admission via u:space

Register in u:space during the application period and activate your u:account. You will need this account during your studies at the University of Vienna. 

Log in to u:space and apply for the degree programme of your choice, with the addition “VWU German language course and“, e.g. "VWU German language course and Psychology" or "VWU German language course and Business Administration".

Upload the required documents. Do not upload a "Certificate of proficiency in German at level C1" under "Other documents and proofs". Then click "submit application."

As soon as the status of your application in u:space is "submitted" you can continue with step 3. This status does not change anymore!


Step 3: Registration at the University Preparation Programme of the Vienna Universities (VWU)

During the admission period you have to present the required documents in original or notarised copy at the Admission Office (opening hours). 

In the Admission Office you will receive a written confirmation that you may participate in the German Preparation course of the VWU. Choose a cooperation partner and register for the course within the registration period (cooperation partners, costs, deadlines).


Step 4: Personal admission

Now you have to go to the Admission Office again and present the required documents in their orignal version or as notarised copies and the confirmation that you have registered for a German course at the VWU.

You have to do this personally, as your identity has to be verified. Representation by third parties is not possible! 


Step 5: Payment of the students´ union fee

You may pay with your ATM card (Maestro card) when completing the admission procedure at the Admission Office.

You will be admitted as a non-degree student as soon as the prescribed fee is registered as paid in u:space. This means that you cannot start with your degree programme yet, you can only participate in courses and exams at the VWU.


What comes next?

As soon as your fee is registered as paid in u:space (Financial Matters > Tuition fee/students' union fee), you can print your student documents (i.e. student record sheet and confirmation of enrolment) by clicking on Personal Matters > My Documents. You can also validate your student ID, the u:card.


 Registration for the entrance examination

Do not forget to register via u:space for the entrance examination in the following registration period as soon as you have reached level B2 or C1 in German!