Information for asylum seekers


Asylum seekers, convention refugees and people granted subsidiarian protection with a school leaving certificate and/or university degree can be admitted to a degree programme at the University of Vienna if they meet the admission requirements.

It is possible to apply for a degree programme - even in connection with a German language course before the start of their degree programme - within the admission periods. Asylum seekers are exempted from providing any legalisation of documents as well as the special entrance qualification for university studies.


Studying at the University of Vienna

The info sheet "Studying at the University of Vienna" sums up the most important information for asylum seekers, convention refugees and people granted subsidiarian protection on numerous topics such as financial matters, selecting a programme, the admission procedure and the nostrification. It is available in German and English.


Due to amendments to the university law, applicants have to include a proof of German knowledge at level A2 in their applications for degree programmes held in German from summer semester 2019 onwards, even if they would like to participate in the University Preparation Programme afterwards. For the admission to degree programmes a proof of German knowledge at level C1 is required. 

Accepted proofs of German knowledge A2

Accepted proofs of German knowledge C1

Detailed information as well as the start of the application period for the summer semester 2019 are not yet known. As soon as we have received more specific information, we will publish it on our website.

 Infosheet "Studying at the University of Vienna"


Scholarships for asylum seeker and those entitled to asylum

The University of Vienna awards scholarships to asylum seekers and persons entitled to asylum to pay the course fee for the University Preparation Programme of the Vienna Universities (VWU) or the examination fee for the supplementary examination German at VWU.

Further information is available on the website of the Office of Studienpräses.



What can I study at the University of Vienna?
What do I have to bear in mind before starting my studies (in terms of financial matters)?
How do I get admitted to a degree programme?
Where do I get replacement certificates if I lost my school leaving certificate or university degrees?
Where can I attend a German language course as a prospective student of the University of Vienna??
Where do I find information on the registration and fees for the German language course?
How much is the tuition fee?
Where can I find information on how to plan my semester?
What do I need to do for the nostrification of my university degree?
I am not studying at the University of Vienna.Can I still get a library card?

 Contact person for members of support organisations

Theresia Leibel, BA
Studienservice und Lehrwesen
1010 Wien, Universitätsring 1